Thursday, December 13, 2012

Water and conversation


I have been thinking a great deal lately about language and its work as the main medium of teaching. The Japanese have a saying: “Water and conversation are free.” This was an obstacle in my previous career in consulting, as there is a predisposition in Japanese business culture not to pay for “conversation,” which is often what our services boiled down to. My job was to make the conversation interesting and valuable enough to pay for.

In teaching, it’s even harder than that. Language seems so ephemeral- do students hear the words we say to them? Do they understand? Out of 25 kids, how many are hearing me at any given moment? Did that fire truck mean I should start over? We don’t have the luxury of meandering conversations: if nothing else, we’re limited by the attention span of the least attentive child. We have to write koans and haiku. Every word has to be packed with meaning, we have to know how to say the most in the least amount of words and time, and the lesson has to be more than the sum of its parts: its substance has to stay in their minds somehow. Right now, I waste words, and time, casting around for just the right lever to pull, to tip their minds in the direction I want them to go. I feel like I don’t know where we’re all going—mainly because I’ve never been there before. I am not reliably leading them, yet, where I want them to go. If they do wind up there, it feels like a happy accident, and I need to also find a way to know if it happened at all. It’s all still water and conversation.


。。。水とお喋り


No comments:

Post a Comment