Monday, November 26, 2012

Moneymoneymoneymoney

My students worked with money today. It was kinda neat-- we put a lot of coins on a tray and gave one to each table (I won't even tell you how much change Ms. Lee has in her closet). They were to sort the coins, look through them, become familiar with the different types, their characteristics, names, how much they're worth. Then they partnered for a game where they had to close their eyes and match the coin their partner gave them by feel. It was a good sensory experience, I think.

Interestingly, I had designed a place-value game called heads or tails that I did with the class a bit earlier this semester. It used 20 pennies, but for more advanced students I gave them 20 nickels or 20 dimes and let them count the value of the coins. They didn't seem to have a problem doing this, so I just assumed they had already learned about money.

For that lesson, and for this one, they were quite excited to be playing with real money and were VERY engaged. I partnered with one girl whose father is from Africa and mother is European, and they spend summers overseas. She and I played on the rug, near where the values and names of the coins were displayed. She clearly was not familiar with what they were called or how much they were each worth. We have several kids in the class who are expats, and I wonder whether they, too, only have a vague notion of US coins?

It would not surprise me. I grew up in Japan and I remember learning about US currency in a math workbook at school. It mystified me for a long time why a nickel was bigger than a dime. Made no sense.

Anyway. They loved it. I guess enthusiasm for math is good at any price (even the price of possibly fostering an obsession with money!) so I have noted this: math games with coins are sure to be a hit.


No comments:

Post a Comment