Saturday, August 25, 2012

Fresh Paint, Fresh Start

I was at Bank Street the other day and pleased to discover that the stairwell had the new-school-year fresh paint smell. I love that smell, and it makes me think of warm fall days, knee socks and new school supplies, and the fact that I never got over the first day of school. Long after it ceased to be meaningful to my schedule (after I left teaching behind in my 20's but before my daughter went to school, a hiatus of about at least 15 years), I still thought about the first day of school, and got that "back to school" feeling just before Labor Day. Sometimes I'd buy myself some new pens or a notebook, just to enjoy the season.

Of course, taking classes at Bank Street did give me the opportunity to participate in "back to school" these last few years. But wait: notebooks? Pens? Wasn't I supposed to take notes on my laptop? Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't- I've taken online classes with assigned youtube videos for class "readings" as well as classes with instructors who still rely on Village Copiers wayyyy too much, if you know what I mean.

And now I am about to find out what first grade is like in the 21st century. My daughter will only be in pre-K this year, so it's a preview for what first grade will be like for her, as well as what it's like for me in my new career as a teacher (hopefully teacher of first grade, my preferred age group). I will do my first student-teaching placement at PSOhYes*, as in everyone has heard of this school and it's in A Nice Part of Brooklyn (henceforth: ANPOB). To be fair, I think I live in a nice part of Brooklyn, but this is not my neighborhood school, and I hope this is enough anonymity for everyone.

Stay tuned y'all!! I will be starting next week.

Oh, and * is props to Pam Jones at Bank Street for allowing me to appropriate, without her consent, the use of "PSXXX," a la her hilarious and tragic tales of PSOhNo. Thanks, Pam. 




No comments:

Post a Comment